- Well, it has happened. We got our first snow of the season. Not much, but enough to cover the ground and bring traffic to a screeching halt. I actually don’t might the cold and snow, so you won’t hear me complaining about too much. There is something soothing about hearing the crunch of the snow under foot on a crisp winter morning.
- With the snow it means no more biking outside – at least on the road bike, I may try and take the mountain bike out a bit. So, it doesn’t look like I am going make it past my December 9th record of last year. Oh well. I am digging my trainer rides so far. After experimenting with Mario Kart, I have moved onto greener pastures and started playing Mario Tennis and Goldeneye on N64. I played through a Mario Tennis tournament and suddenly 40 minutes of my ride were over and done with. I found that my aero bars were made for the N64.
- I think I am finally getting over my cold. Oh, by the way, did I mention I have been fighting a cold? I don’t think I did because I have been in denial about actually being sick. It was the most annoying cold. I was stuffed up, had a sore throat, cough, and was hacking up crap all week. I still have a lingering cough, but I am just about 100% now.
- I’m hesitant to mention our Christmas lights again after the crap I got last time for putting them up too early. For the record, I may put them up early, but we just turned them on for the first time this week. It is much more fun to hang the lights while it is warm rather than trudging around in the snow and cold. Anyways, the 2nd night we plugged in the lights, half of the lights didn’t come on. I finally had a chance this afternoon to investigate the problem and here is what I found:
- The damn rabbits chewed through all three wires of one of the strands. Bunnies – you are welcome to live under our deck, but consider this your warning. Continue to chew through our wires and you might end up in a nice winter stew*.
- I don’t think I ever officially thanked everyone for their help on getting my bike fixed, so Thank You! Both Jon and BDD nailed the issue on the head – hub related. I took the wheel into Grand Rapids Bicycle Company after calling them. I worked with the mechanic and he helped me remove the freehub. Once removed, he said that it definitely had some play to it and was in need of eventual replacement. That said, we were able to completely clean out the freehub and lubricate it. After doing that, the noise has pretty much completely disappeared. I will eventually need to replace the entire hub if it gets worse, but I should be good for a while. I’ve broken a couple spokes in the last couple months as well and he recommended re-lacing the wheel if they continue to break as it is a sign of fatigue. I figure that I will keep an eye on the spokes and do the hub at the same time. The best part – the LBS didn’t charge me a penny! He basically let me into the shop, access to the tools, and assisted me for free. I was shocked and thoroughly impressed.
- My swim times are really improving this season. I did a 10×100 workout at the pool on Wednesday and managed sub-1:30 for all 10. Even the woman I swim next to (a former collegiate swimmer) has commented on my improvement. Well, I think it was a compliment, “I think I only lapped you once during my workout today.” haha. I think that swimming next to a stronger swimmer is one of the best ways to push myself harder.
- Tomorrow night is the Michael Buble concert. I have been listening to the CDs this past week while working to brush on his songs. My brother is actually working the load-in and load-out (fancy words for setup and teardown) of the event, so we might actually see him there. I asked if he could get us backstage to meet Michael, but he doubts he will even see him. Damn. Worth a try though!
Thanks for reading!
*I’m kidding PITA. Besides my bunny loving wife would never allow this to happen.